Put Your Tomatoes to Good Use
Tomatoes are in season right now. Whether you grab them from your garden or pick them up at a local produce stand, try this recipe for brunch or dinner this weekend!
Start to finish: 45 minutes (15 active)
- 4 tomatoes, peeled and sliced
- 10 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1/2 cup green onion, chopped
- 9-in. pre-baked deep dish pie shell
- 1 cup grated mozzarella
- 1 cup grated cheddar
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place tomatoes in a colander, sprinkle with salt and allow to drain for 10 minutes.
- Layer the tomato slices, basil and onion in the pie shell. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a separate bowl, combine the grated cheeses and mayonnaise together. Spread mixture over the tomatoes, and bake for 30 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cut into six slices and serve warm.
Lisa Anderson is the Clinical Nutrition Manager at Aramark Healthcare and Chesapeake Regional Healthcare.