Add colorful vegetables to your plate
Spring is a great time to take advantage of the colorful vegetables in season this time of year. Add them to your plate, they pack a healthy punch of nutrients and fiber your body needs. Try the salad and dressing combination below as a fresh springtime meal.
Watercress Salad with Sesame-Garlic Dressing Avocados, radishes and scallions top this water-cress and radicchio salad with a fish-sauce-spiked dressing to make a vibrant spring salad. Consider shaking up some extra dressing to toss with your salads throughout the week.
- 4 cups trimmed watercress or arugula (about 4 oz.)
- 4 large hard boiled eggs – cut in half
- 2 cups torn radicchio (1-inch pieces)
- 1 small avocado, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 cup sliced radishes
- ½ cup thinly sliced spring onions or scallions
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh jalapeño
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame seeds (optional)
- Combine watercress (or arugula), radicchio, avocado, radishes and onions (or scallions) in a salad bowl.
- Add the eggs. Combine lime juice, fish sauce, brown sugar, jalapeno, garlic and oil in a jar. Cover and shake to combine.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and gently toss to combine.
- Garnish with toasted sesame seeds, if desired.